Audience Participation, Concert Style

The other day I had concerts on the brain, as in asking, “What do the concerts we go to say about who we are?”

A couple of years ago Craig and I were at a retreat with Charlie Peacock and his wife, Andi, and Charlie made the joke over dinner one night that when folks become Christians they throw away all their secular music. Then when they become mature Christians, they throw away all their Christian music.

We all laughed then, and I mused about how that does often seem to be the case. There is very little out there in the Contemporary Christian Music world that I consider worth listening to anymore, though there are a select few musicians I still buy from when they produce something new. And no, I didn’t throw away my old Christian stuff as I grew in my faith, but I didn’t depend on them as heavily as I did before. In fact, some of them are very good friends that, when listened to, bring back some sweet memories of certain periods in life.

During that same conversation, Charlie asked us all what was the first concert we remembered going to and I won the most hysterical laughter by admitting I attended one by Farrell and Farrell as a grade schooler.

After that I remember going to:
Sandi Patty
The Imperials (Though those guys look different – has the band changed hands since 1985?)
Bill Gather Trio

Then the junior high and high school years:
Amy Grant (though she didn’t show up and was replaced by Petra, at which I was horrified)
Twila Paris
Steven Curtis Chapman
Rick Cua
(I actually walked out on this one due to my legalistic tendencies. I might still walk out on him today, but it wouldn’t be because I thought him to be in sin, but rather because I think he’s a sub-par musician…)

College years:

Charlie Peacock
Michael Card three times
U2
Over the Rhine
Jason Aldean
Jewel

You can see how things changed dramatically the older I got. I may be leaving out a concert or two, but it’s because I forgot it, not because I was too embarrassed to put it up here (anyone who can admit to seeing Farrell and Farrell live is not too embarrassed to own up to her concert experiences, you know what I mean?).

Okay, so now it’s time for you to ‘fess up. Who have you been to see and would you pay to see them again here and now at this stage of your life?

2 thoughts on “Audience Participation, Concert Style

Imported Comments:
    Comment by chilihead
    April 9 @ 8:44 pm
    Wow! Love those post-college concerts! I haven’t been to many…I’m not a huge fan of the whole concert “thing.” But I have been to see Def Lepard (high school) and The Cult (college). I’ve also seen Vanessa Whatsername (Carlson?)/Third Eye Blind/Goo Goo Dolls about three years ago.
    I would pay to see the Goo Goo Dolls again. They are just so cool.
    17502
    Comment by Shannon
    April 9 @ 9:31 pm
    The only Christian concerts I’ve been to are Steven Curtis Chapman and Twila Paris (the latter was fantastic–she was, and always will be, one of my very favorites!). As for secular, oh, this is embarrassing, but I actually saw The Jets in high school. Remember them? “I’ve Got a Crush On You”, etc.?? Total teenybopper group. And I saw Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, and (gulp) Hank Williams Jr. (my high school sweetheart was into country music, what can I say?)
    My recent concert attendance have been things like Sesame Street Live and Dora On Stage. Riveting.
    17503
    Comment by Megan
    April 9 @ 9:37 pm
    Oh yeah, Twila Paris – I’ve got to add her to my list too!
    And as for kid concerts, Craig has the Donut Man to add to his repertoire. I didn’t get to go to that one…
    17504
    Comment by Anne
    April 9 @ 9:40 pm
    The first concert I remember going to (high school) was the country band Alabama. That cracks me up now.
    Here are the others I can remember:
    Sandi Patti – high school
    Steven Curtis Chapman – in college
    Wayne Watson – in college
    Huey Lewis & the News – in college
    Post-college:
    Harry Connick, Jr. — twice
    Sheryl Crow
    Eric Clapton
    No Doubt
    Willie Nelson
    Jimmy Buffett
    We have tickets to U2’s Honolulu concert. It was originally scheduled for last night, but it has been postponed to probably November or December because one of the band members has an ill family member. I’m really looking forward to that concert!
    I wouldn’t pay to see the college ones again. I don’t know that I’d go see the post-college ones again, either, though. Tickets are so ridiculously expensive these days!
    How was the Sting concert? I’d probably splurge for that one!
    17505
    Comment by Craig
    April 9 @ 10:07 pm
    Pre-college:
    D.C. Talk/Steven Curtis Chapman – Six Flags in St. Louis; I was in high school
    Degarmo & Key/Petra – Civic Center in Springfield, IL; rocked for all I knew
    White Lion/Stryper – Civic Center in Springfield, IL; loudest concert (my ears rang for days)
    College:
    Mamas and the Papas (minus Mama Cass) – some theater in Columbia, MO; wrote a review for college yearbook
    Audio/Adrenaline/Geoff Moore and the Distance – some theater in Columbia; coordinated setup and teardown; eh
    First Call – E-Free Church in Columbia; okay
    Amy Grant (twice) – Hearnes Center in Columbia; Riverfront Amphitheater in Hannibal, MO; good shows
    Michael W. Smith – Fox Theater in St. Louis; cool venue, evening
    Out of the Grey – some high school in Peoria; good but weird
    Susan Ashton – some theater in Kansas City; not Susan’s best night
    Avalon/Twila Paris – some church in Kansas City; cheeseball
    Post-college
    PFR – Hotel ballroom somewhere in St. Louis; rocked
    Michael W. Smith – Pepsi Center in Denver; MWS hit stride here
    Sting – Colorado Springs World Arena; sounded better than the CD
    Charlie Peacock – club in downtown C. Springs; booked/introduced Charlie
    King’s X – smoky bar in downtown Denver; nasty but interesting
    Alannis/Barenaked Ladies – Red Rocks outside of Denver; fun at cool venue
    Michael Card (3 times) – Glen Eyrie Castle; booked/introduced Mike; great
    U2 – Chicago’s United Center; best concert I’ve seen
    Like Anne, there were plenty of other shows I wanted to see, but budget was an issue. And yes, the girls and I saw The Donut Man at Pulpit Rock Church in Colorado Springs. At the end, I lit my lighter and yelled, “Play ‘Freebird’!” but he didn’t seem to know what I was talking about.
    17506
    Comment by Ed
    April 9 @ 10:46 pm
    This is going to be tough, because (and I realized this as I was typing) that I’ve been going to concerts for 20 years.
    High school and before (I think this is in order):
    Journey
    Van Halen
    Huey Lewis and the News (still ranks as one of the best I’ve been to)
    Amy Grant & Michael W. Smith
    Petra & Stryper
    Chicago
    The Beach Boys
    The Black Crowes
    Jimmy Buffett
    Fleetwood Mac
    Robert Plant
    College (keep in mind that I was in college for 7+ years):
    Van Halen
    Stephen Curtis Chapman (twice; Newsboys opened for one of them)
    Rich Mullins
    PFR (twice; I actually saw them once while they were still Pray For Rain, and once after)
    U2
    David Wilcox (4 times)
    Amy Grant
    Phil Keaggy (twice)
    Susan Ashton (Craig, did she skip around the stage as an attempt to dance at your show?)
    John Gorka (This one is at the top– I was in awe, mostly because he’s my favorite and this was my first time seeing him live; he did a great couple of tunes on the piano, which was a fun surprise)
    Accapella
    James Taylor (three times)
    Michael Card & Wes King (another among the best shows I’ve seen)
    Elton John
    After College:
    David Wilcox (twice)
    John Gorka
    Michael Card
    Simon & Garkfunkel
    I think that might be it; wow, not too many shows since college… I guess our money is going to stuff like books and kids!
    17507
    Comment by Margaret
    April 10 @ 1:34 am
    Pre-college: Bryan Adams (I spent a week convincing my mother to let me go!)
    College (can’t remember them all): Suzanne Vega, Squeeze, Depeche Mode, Elvis Costello, Gordon Gano, Sting, lots of live music at college events (I can’t remember it all- it was all so cheap/free then!)
    Post college: Michelle Shocked, Indigo Girls (twice), Billy Joel, Elton John (before kids, I went to a lot more classical than anything else)
    Since kids: Um, anything free? That finishes before 9 pm?
    17509
    Comment by kristen
    April 10 @ 8:38 am
    First Concert (both in utero and as a toddler)
    The Grateful Dead
    Concerts I remember going to before college:
    Creation Festival (at about 8 or 9) – DC Talk in their true rap days, Petra, etc.
    Steven Curtis Chapman
    Pierce Pettis 2x
    John Mayer
    Mike Garrigan 3+x
    Eric Peters
    Jonah Werner
    lots of others, I can’t remember at the moment
    Post-College (not much time w/o kids)
    David Wilcox
    Andrew Peterson
    17510
    Comment by Britney
    April 10 @ 12:28 pm
    Pre-college:
    The Judds twice (at one of the concerts I remember that Garth Brooks was the opening act!)
    Tanya Tucker (my mom and her sisters played in a band with her right before Tanya made it big in the 70’s, so we ended up getting to hang out with her backstage on her tour bus after the concert-that lady was CRAZY!)
    Roseanne Cash
    Rebecca St. James
    Growing up in Montana meant that country music concerts were about all the choice there was 🙂
    College & Post-College:
    30 Seconds to Mars and Incubus
    The Refreshments (aka Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers)
    The Doobie Brothers
    12 Stones, Puddle of Mudd, & Nickelback
    Nelly (won front row tickets on the radio for this STL rapper’s Montana concert!)
    Story Hill
    Saliva (in a really small basement club; it was great!)
    Very Soon:
    Madonna in June in Chicago (this is my dream concert!)
    Want to see before I (or they) die:
    U2
    Aerosmith
    Rob Zombie
    Ladytron
    Juno Reactor
    Little Big Town
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Panic Channel
    17511
    Comment by Renae
    April 10 @ 4:52 pm
    I guess I’ve seen quite a few concerts, although I don’t know if they fall into a pattern and/or reflect with any consistency anything about my worldview, although I might be wrong. Anyway, after thinking about autism (I would provide a link but I don’t know how to here, but info about the workshop we’re attending is at http://www.rdiconnect.com) all day long, I like the thought of thinking about something totally unrelated.
    Here are a few of the concerts I can remember, roughly chronologically:
    Loverboy (1st concert, 8th grade, with my mom and a grade school friend)
    Van Halen
    Huey Lewis & the News
    America
    Barry Manilow (I’ve actually seen him TWICE, once at IL State U. and once in Kansas City. I think I’m finally over him. hee hee)
    Billy Crockett
    Amy Grant with Michael W. Smith
    Michael Card
    James Taylor
    and, more recently:
    OK Go (may see them again soon)
    The Decemberists
    Sufjan Stevens
    Calexico and Iron and Wine
    Over the Rhine (3x and will always go see them)
    Tracy Grammer (2x, and ditto above… I’m sorry I didn’t discover her until after Dave Carter died.)
    I’m not much interested in the CCM-type concerts I saw back in high school and college. I really don’t ever listen to that kind of music anymore. Maybe Michael Card when I’m feeling nostalgic. I love the more recent concerts we’ve been to, mostly at Mississippi Nights and Blueberry Hill in St. Louis, and hope to see many more while we’re here.
    17512
    Comment by Renae
    April 10 @ 4:53 pm
    Oh, I guess the link thing happens automatically. Much easier than Xanga. Hee hee on me!
    17513
    Comment by clifford
    April 10 @ 6:53 pm
    Ok, this is quite varied. And in no particular order, other than before/after I graduated from college.
    Before:
    Wayne Watson
    Kate Campbell (4 times)
    Pierce Pettis
    B52’s/Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers
    Jimmy Buffett (3 times)
    Nanci Griffith (3 times)
    Allison Krauss & Union Station (2 times)
    David Wilcox (6, maybe 7 times)
    Michael Card (2 times)
    Bryan Adams
    Bebo Norman
    Allen Levi
    Andrew Peterson
    James Taylor (2 times)
    U2 (2 times)
    Sting/Johnny Lang
    Sheryl Crow
    17514
    Comment by Renae
    April 10 @ 8:22 pm
    Ooh, I forgot Harry and the Potters. We saw them at a free show at the library with the kids right around the time the last HP book came out… they took a bit of a nationwide tour last summer. Have any of the rest of you seen them? They are a HOOT. Very funny and entertaining, even if their music isn’t going to win them any grammies.
    17515
    Comment by Jo
    April 10 @ 8:31 pm
    Oh, my. Was that retreat really “a few years ago?”
    17516
    Comment by TulipGirl
    April 11 @ 1:13 am
    Yikes. . . Don’t know if I’ll be able to remember.
    Last year we saw Speeding Lisa, a fab expat band in Kyiv. Best concert, as far as energy and joy goes, that I’ve been to in years. Then again, I think it had been 10 years since my last concert (that wasn’t of the concert hall variety.)
    As a kid, with my family or friends’ family:
    Alabama (wouldn’t have remembered expect it was listed by a couple of others–think it was the state fair.)
    Johnny Cash (USO)
    Lee Greenwood (USO)
    Twila Paris @ Moody Bible Institute
    Lots of local cultural concerts
    As a teen, my first concert with friends was
    The Allies, and opening was The Choir *swoon* at Wheaton College (Wide Eyed Wonder tour, when Robin was still around. . .)
    Geoff Moore
    Couple of others, blanking right now
    College Years:
    Local bands, some even got signed. My friends’ bands were metal, even though I was more mellow. So went to quite a few of those.
    Cornerstone, a couple of times. Some memorable bands there: The Crossing, The Choir *swoon*, Glenn Kaiser/Rez, Julie Miller (couple of times), Over the Rhine, Jan Krist, Lost Dogs, 77s, VoL, Sixpence, many others, but those are the ones I’m remembering right now. . .
    Since then? Like I said, just Speeding Lisa.
    17517
    Comment by clifford
    April 11 @ 7:46 am
    Who I would pay to see again (and again):
    U2
    David Wilcox
    Kate Campbell
    17519
    Comment by Megan
    April 11 @ 10:36 am
    Oooo – now I get to think about which one of your concerts I would have gone with you to see…
    Chilihead – Probably the Goo Goo Dolls
    Shannon – It’d have to be Sesame Street Live… (We’ve never been though the girls have begged to go several times!)
    Anne- Get down with your bad self! You have been to many good shows! I think I’d go to the Eric Clapton one, though the choice was hard.
    Craig I am skipping because all of my post-college shows are ones I went to with him. Okay, now I take it back. If I had known him in college (when he was in college, not me) I would have gone to see Out of the Grey
    Ed – Hands down, J.T.
    Margaret – I’m going with Bryan Adams here just to hear him sing “Summer of ‘69” live…
    Kristen – You make me feel old and I’m in my early 30’s. I haven’t heard of half the bands you listed… ☺ I’ll have to go with Caedmon’s Call
    Britney – Thanks for dropping by! I think I’d like to go see Madonna with you. Enjoy!
    Renae – Barry Manilow. (Ha! What were you thinking??? Hee hee) Sufjan Stevens with you. And how do we get hooked up on all the local concerts? You seem to have connections.
    Amy – I was about to say that you and Craig have more in common here. I’m thinking he would have enjoyed seeing Van Halen with you. I’m going to stick with Cougar. Er, I mean John Mellencamp… But your list was hard too – you have been to many good shows, my friend!
    TulipGirl – I’m actually not that familiar with most of your list either, so I’m going to try something new and have you introduce me to The Choir (*grin*)
    As for Sting – Amazing. Aside from my being 7.5 months pregnant when we went to it and having to stand for most of the concert (we had floor seats) plus having to duck out multiple times for potty-breaks (something about standing for 3 hours with an almost fully formed baby jamming out on top of your bladder…)
    Also, U2. I decided that really, I only want to see them with Craig. And the girls when they get a bit older.
    And oh yes, Harry and the Potters. We went to that at Shafley and I have to say – we did not seem to share Barlow’s fascination with them. I can appreciate silly sometimes (used to really enjoy, but now only sometimes) but this – this just seemed dumb to me… ☺
    And Jo – I guess it was really just 1.5 years ago, so don’t worry too much! Time hasn’t gone that fast. Yet.
    Thanks for playing!
    17522
    Comment by kristen
    April 11 @ 1:17 pm
    Megan, I really think you’d like Andrew Peterson. Stick “The Far Country” in your queue and tell me what you think!
    17523
    Comment by kristen
    April 11 @ 1:19 pm
    Here’s a short article about just 1 song on the album:
    really long url
    17524
    Comment by Megan
    April 11 @ 1:28 pm
    I had him in the queue, but just realized he’s number 13 which means I wouldn’t get it until May of 2007… I just bumped him up to number 1 per your recommendation!
    17525
    Comment by kristen
    April 11 @ 1:36 pm
    :o)
    If you listen to it a couple times and just don’t like it and don’t load it into your itunes or anything, I’ll buy it from you for the price you paid and give it away to someone else. A money back guarantee!
    17583
    Comment by Ed
    April 17 @ 4:52 pm
    Megan, you should have come to J.T.; once was on the third row– I could see the wrappings on his guitar strings. Another time in a smaller concert hall in S.C. where basically no seat was a bad one; that was where they taped about 80% of the live dual-CD he released in the mid-90s.
    I forgot to add Silers Bald to the list– I’ve seen them probably 7 or 8 times. (I used to do photography for their CDs.)

Imported Comments:
    Comment by chilihead
    April 9 @ 8:44 pm
    I would pay to see the Goo Goo Dolls again. They are just so cool.
    17502
    Comment by Shannon
    April 9 @ 9:31 pm
    17503
    Comment by Megan
    April 9 @ 9:37 pm
    Oh yeah, Twila Paris – I’ve got to add her to my list too!
    17504
    Harry Connick, Jr. — twice
    Sheryl Crow
    Eric Clapton
    No Doubt
    Willie Nelson
    Jimmy Buffett
    How was the Sting concert? I’d probably splurge for that one!
    17505
    17506
    Comment by Ed
    April 9 @ 10:46 pm
    High school and before (I think this is in order):
    Journey
    Van Halen
    Huey Lewis and the News (still ranks as one of the best I’ve been to)
    Amy Grant & Michael W. Smith
    Petra & Stryper
    Chicago
    The Beach Boys
    The Black Crowes
    Jimmy Buffett
    Fleetwood Mac
    Robert Plant
    College (keep in mind that I was in college for 7+ years):
    Van Halen
    Stephen Curtis Chapman (twice; Newsboys opened for one of them)
    Rich Mullins
    U2
    David Wilcox (4 times)
    Amy Grant
    Phil Keaggy (twice)
    Accapella
    James Taylor (three times)
    Michael Card & Wes King (another among the best shows I’ve seen)
    Elton John
    After College:
    David Wilcox (twice)
    John Gorka
    Michael Card
    Simon & Garkfunkel
    17507
    Comment by Margaret
    April 10 @ 1:34 am
    Pre-college: Bryan Adams (I spent a week convincing my mother to let me go!)
    Since kids: Um, anything free? That finishes before 9 pm?
    17509
    Comment by kristen
    April 10 @ 8:38 am
    First Concert (both in utero and as a toddler)
    The Grateful Dead
    Pierce Pettis 2x
    John Mayer
    Mike Garrigan 3+x
    Eric Peters
    Jonah Werner
    lots of others, I can’t remember at the moment
    Post-College (not much time w/o kids)
    David Wilcox
    Andrew Peterson
    17510
    Comment by Britney
    April 10 @ 12:28 pm
    Pre-college:
    Roseanne Cash
    Rebecca St. James
    College & Post-College:
    30 Seconds to Mars and Incubus
    The Refreshments (aka Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers)
    The Doobie Brothers
    12 Stones, Puddle of Mudd, & Nickelback
    Story Hill
    Saliva (in a really small basement club; it was great!)
    Very Soon:
    Madonna in June in Chicago (this is my dream concert!)
    Want to see before I (or they) die:
    U2
    Aerosmith
    Rob Zombie
    Ladytron
    Juno Reactor
    Little Big Town
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Panic Channel
    17511
    Comment by Renae
    April 10 @ 4:52 pm
    Here are a few of the concerts I can remember, roughly chronologically:
    Loverboy (1st concert, 8th grade, with my mom and a grade school friend)
    Van Halen
    Huey Lewis & the News
    America
    Billy Crockett
    Amy Grant with Michael W. Smith
    Michael Card
    James Taylor
    and, more recently:
    OK Go (may see them again soon)
    The Decemberists
    Sufjan Stevens
    Calexico and Iron and Wine
    Over the Rhine (3x and will always go see them)
    17512
    Wayne Watson
    Kate Campbell (4 times)
    Pierce Pettis
    B52’s/Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers
    Jimmy Buffett (3 times)
    Nanci Griffith (3 times)
    Allison Krauss & Union Station (2 times)
    David Wilcox (6, maybe 7 times)
    Michael Card (2 times)
    17514
    Comment by Renae
    April 10 @ 8:22 pm
    17515
    Comment by Jo
    April 10 @ 8:31 pm
    Oh, my. Was that retreat really “a few years ago?”
    17516
    Comment by TulipGirl
    April 11 @ 1:13 am
    Yikes. . . Don’t know if I’ll be able to remember.
    As a kid, with my family or friends’ family:
    Johnny Cash (USO)
    Lee Greenwood (USO)
    Twila Paris @ Moody Bible Institute
    Lots of local cultural concerts
    As a teen, my first concert with friends was
    Geoff Moore
    Couple of others, blanking right now
    College Years:
    Since then? Like I said, just Speeding Lisa.
    17517