Welcome back down the stairs:
I got a lot of work done on this and it feels pretty good. First of all, the guest bed and laundry folding and ironing area. Here’s the bed with a dust ruffle I got from the St. Louis Freecycle List. Let me take this quick moment to say that the floor of our basement is not level and it slopes down from the walls. This means there’s about a 2′ strip between the wall and any furniture. I created a sub-wall of sorts and use that sloped 2′ for storage that doesn’t need to be level, like out of season clothes and seasonal decorations. You can see these boxes of storage poking up around the furniture from time to time. That’s just the way it has to go here. Also – I got rid of a LOT of stuff down here. Maybe 8 or 9 big things (bags/boxes) went to the seminary free store over the course of the month and I’ve got about 2 or 3 more from today ready to go. I also had about 3 large trash bags full of stuff to simply pitch. Feels good.
I fixed my laundry problem by moving the ironing board over by the bed and moved the hanging rack to the wall side of the area. Now, folded laundry gets placed in stacks on the bed, hung laundry gets hung and sorted immediately, and things that need to be ironed either get ironed on the spot or put in that basket on the hanging rack to be ironed next time.
Moving on now. This area used to have a plethora of the girls’ crafty stuff and as such was constantly bombarded by a mess of crazy craftiness. This area is now no longer allowed to be crafted in. They can do puzzles, play with manipulatives, read books, play games, or stuff like that. No crafts!! I finally got our maps and alphabet hung up on the wall. Only took four months…
Moving on toward the right again, here’s my sewing machine and fabric stash and patterns shelf. This is pretty picked up for this area – it gets a lot of attention from many hands looking for fabric for precious crafts…
The washing machine area got cleaned up – the boxes of miscellaneous got put in their proper places and they got dusted off and swept around. The shelf with laundry detergent got emptied when I donated several containers of non-HE detergent to a shelter.
You can’t really tell what I did here, but it also got reorganized – my candle making supplies got better arranged and many things left the shelf for either donation or trash. This allowed me to get several bins that I actually needed off the floor and onto the shelf.
And now, for the very best part of all. My parents brought my sewing table with them this week. I set it up in the middle of the room and created the ultimate craft area for the girls. THIS is where they can craft from now on and we made that pretty clear to them tonight. They are happy with it, so hopefully they will be content with leaving their crafting genius right here:
WHEW! That project feels really good to have crossed off my list. It may not win any awards, but it was definitely worth the effort. This whole thing got started with the 30 Day Organizational Challenge hosted by I’m an Organizing Junkie. Thanks for the motivation, Laura!