Comparing Apples to Apples

I’ve been in Whole Foods to actually purchase things three times in my life now. The first two times I spent under $2. Today I actually grocery shopped. What changed?

When I went in before, I had major sticker shock. Who pays these kinds of prices for food you can get much cheaper at Aldi or Schnucks when they have a sale? Not me! No way. You see, all I had to compare the Whole Foods prices to were my normal cheap (frugal, I mean) purchases without considering health factors.

But I’ve now renewed my quest to purchase dairy and meat items with no rbST in them and am doing my darndest to not have corn syrup in the ingredients either. I’ve been to no less than five different stores that specialize in natural and organic foods within the past week. Whole Foods was the last on my list today and let me tell you – when comparing Whole Foods prices to their counterparts, they look pretty good. I’ve now got the right comparison to measure them up against. I’m still a loyal Trader Joe’s shopper too, but on some really important things (milk, butter, yogurt, meat), Whole Foods has the better deal.

Still, it’s hard to make more expensive grocery choices when the grocery budget is so limited as it is. It would be nice if the best food choices were easily obtainable by all budgets. The positive of that, though, is that I was forced to buy only what we needed. With food being about 30% more expensive than I’m used to paying, I really need to say no to about 30% of the junkie items that somehow make their way into the cart.

So that simply means we will eat less junk and better “whole foods.” I’m getting it, it’s just taking me longer than most people to figure this stuff out.

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Comparing Apples to Apples

1. kristen says:

I want a Trader Joes!
    We go to WF at least once a week for milk and HTF items that must be natural. I haven’t bit the bullet on cheese and all my meat, I feel like we are barely eating enough as it is on our budget (no junky food here!) — my girls eat ALL DAY. I know the are growing but geez… they each eat more than I do.

2. Candace Prosser says:

We do not have a Whole Foods here in Norman either, the closest large health food store is Wild Oats in Tulsa and then Whole Foods in Dallas, both requiring hours of driving.
    Once we move to Maryland there is a Trader Joes in Annapolis and Aldi is close enough to drive to. I believe that there is a Whole Foods near us too, but it will require at least thirty minutes of driving.
    Let me tell ya, I am in grocery store heaven. I have wanted to shop at Trader Joes for years because of the wonderful things that I have heard about them, but there are not any stores remotely near East Texas or Central Oklahoma.

3. Margaret says:

You go, girl! I went to a nutrition workshop last year, and the presenter emphasized whole foods and good choices to help kids eat better. While #2 is still picky, at least she has a better spread from which to pick. #1, bless his heart, loves and has always loved, good food.
    Know what? When I offer my kids good food, I also tend to eat it, and so does my sweet husband. What a concept!

4. Jess says:

We found the same to be true with us regarding the overall amount of food purchased being less. I was trying to think the other day though what I really miss and honestly the only, only, only thing I could think of was Ritz crackers. Not so bad.

5. kristen says:

I want a Trader Joes!

6. Candace Prosser says:

7. Margaret says:

8. Jess says:

9. charity says:

Got to you through RT’s blog… We’ve basically switched to buying all the canned/non-fresh foods at Food Lion and buy our fresh fruit, dairy and meats at Whole Foods or our local coop. I was convinced through a book called The Omnivore’s Dilemma – a great, fun read. Good luck on your venture into organics!

10. charity says: