Feelin’ Crafty

In a fit of what can only be described as obsessive compulsive household rearrangment syndrome (OCHRS), I decided to tackle the basement yesterday. It was a long four months coming, and I'm not finished yet but I did make some significant progress. The problem for me, though, is that progress in a crafting area always, always, always means I develop this inner urge to craft. Craig shakes his head knowingly. He can't create in chaos, which is why he usually can't create around me. He knows that when things are picked up we do better as creative people. So yes, he's right. (Happy?)

Anyway, a couple of months ago I got this great idea to make crayon pouches for our church. They currently offer crayons in plastic boxes for the kids to use during the service. Crayons + plastic boxes + wooden pews = more noise than tolerable for most people (or maybe just for us). I secured proper approval and then promptly tabled said project. Until yesterday, that is. Because suddenly I had a clear crafting table and an organized fabric stash with ribbon neatly hung on a peg, looking all fabric store-ish and cute. I did as much cleaning as I could and then I gave in. Here they are:

Crayons!

This is a bad time to be bitten by the craft bug. I've got two more books to read, an interview to do, and three papers to write for seminary in addition to other writing deadlines. I really shouldn't be doing this now. But Christmas is coming and all and I did want to make several of my gifts this year…maybe one more night of this wouldn't hurt anything, right?

12 thoughts on “Feelin’ Crafty

1. Catherine says:

Craft bugs are intelligent and know when to hit, and even when to mutate into something that almost kills you, but which you just *have* to do! Those crayon pouches are great – what a simple and lovely idea!

2. zellner says:

catherine is so right- I love reading your blog and knowing when you are about to tackle the garage or some other major project and love to see what craft results from your burst of energy. The crayon pouch is so cute! Wish I knew how to use a sewing machine…

3. Jess says:

I feel ya. I have had the urge to sew every day even if I don’t have something specific in mind… I just grab some scraps and ribbon and there is a little bag to carry 1 My Little Pony if anyone suddenly has the urge to carry around 1 My Little Pony. 🙂

I cleaned up the kitchen today and then suddenly needed to make candles. I made some decent ones this time, though I had to cave in and use a soy/paraffin blend. My problem? I forgot to put the scent in. I have three beautiful candles with no scent.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb!!

5. Need A Nap2 says:

Those pouches look great! I’m kinda glad we don’t have crayons available in our services (now that our 3-year-old attends). 🙂 You’re so thoughtful though and they look fabulous.
    I personally would prefer an unscented candle. I like the look (and air cleansing) that comes from a candle but too much scent bothers my allergies.

6. Stefanie says:

So that’s where those cute crayon pouches came from! I noticed them this morning and wondered why I had never noticed them before. Thanks for making them!

7. audreyoka says:

Oh wow, those are adorable. I am so glad to live in CA and not have a basement. I know me and I know if I had a basement I would forever be decluttering.
    I used to love my craft room. I’m not sure if it was chaos but oh my gosh I had a lot in there.