We’re Moving Again!

Boxes of Books

Just kidding. After moving six times in the last four years, I think I’m just hardwired to pack things into boxes and stack them somewhere in our house every nine months or so. Seems like my calling in life.

In reality, it is finally time for us to deal with this:

The ceiling that hates us

Which really extends across the entire living room ceiling:


Because of the havoc that is about to come, I’m putting everything in the living room into boxes and getting it all out of here. I’m sort of digging these shelves sans books right now:

Empty Shelves

It also means that since chaos is about to ensue anyway, we might as well finally get 1984 completely out of the living room by employing some cheap child labor:


She does a great job, don’t you think? Just a mere 24 hours ago, this spot too had 1984 glued firmly in place. Now look at it. Now it just has 1984 painted there, but it is all ready for a fresh look next week.


Problem? Craig and I are having trouble agreeing on the paint color. He doesn’t think the fabric I picked out really goes that well with the carpet. Last night I posted all 18 yards on ebay and Craig’s List and am hoping for the best. In the meantime I’m saying just do it. Paint it something. Something that isn’t peach. Or black. I’ll deal with the fabric issue later.

2009, here we come.


Shake-y Time

We’re right on the verge of spring break around here. By that I mean I communicated to my kids that as of Thursday we would be officially on spring break. We planned to drive to Oklahoma and spend a few days with my parents. Most of you might remember that my mom recently had a knee replacement surgery, so we thought we’d go cheer her up in her infirmity a little bit.

This was before Millie came down with a throw-up bug yesterday morning. My policy on that is to make sure the household is sick-free for 24 hours before joining back in with other people. In the case of throwing up, I like to make sure we’re in the clear for 48 hours before rejoining society.

As such, I postponed the trip until Friday and broke the news to everyone that we weren’t really taking spring break on Thursday after all. We have a lot of catching up to do and every day counts right now.

They were disappointed but they handled it okay. They’ve handled it better because I’ve taken them to get shakes two days in a row. Our friends who watch the girls for us every Tuesday had told us they would be going out for Shamrock Shakes last night. When it turned out I was going to have to skip class to stay home with the sick one (and subsequently everyone else too), they were seriously disappointed about missing out on the shakes. Millie seemed to be feeling better after lunch and the only thing she wanted was the goofy Shamrock Shake, so out we went. She promptly threw the whole thing back up again. Twice.

Scratch that attempt. Today we were out again and again, shakes were the only thing on her mind. We went through Steak and Shake during happy hour and got more shakes. This time they all stayed down.

So it appears that Millie is on the mend in that department, however she did spike a low fever most of the day today. I’m not so sure the bug is out of our collective system yet.

Not sure what this is going to mean for our Oklahoma trip as I know without a doubt my mom is in no position to be gifted with the gift that keeps on giving and my mom catches everything (right, Mom?).

If we leave Friday morning we won’t have the 48-hour clearance I want before we go. Not sure what to do.

My kids are going to be mucho-disappointed if I cancel the trip altogether.

Maybe another shake is the answer?