Challenge of the Day

My two oldest girls were touring with their choir today which left me home with my two youngest for most of the day. Perfect day to start a very large project! Right? Sure, whatever.

The challenge of the day was this window:

IMG_1972.JPG

The project started like this:

IMG_1973.JPG

It then morphed into this:

IMG_1976.JPG

Whereupon I remembered that these shades require weight rods, not these little corner squares. Doh!

After doing some internet research and realizing all the missing parts to make two of these shades was going to cost around $60 before shipping, I became discouraged. I then realized I could probably make do without all the $60 parts. At least for now. I took the girls with me to Joann's Fabrics where we spent $5 on cord and cord pulls. While there I realized I don't need the cord stoppers after all because I'm planning to get cord cleats to attach to the walls. So that was $10 off the list. Buying the cord at Joann's instead of online also saved another $10. I realized I could wait on the weights and see what other heavy rod I can come up with sometime later. $30 off the list.

But then I had to leave. We met some friends at the park to fly kites, then I had to pick up the older girls from their 8 hour day of choir touring (the bus was late and I was frustrated by that). I ran them to softball practice and then 7 hours after I last stopped working on this shade I was able to start again. I spent the entire movie of Singing in the Rain measuring and marking where the ring tape would go. I then started pinning on rings:

IMG_2012.JPG

I got this far and realized I'm 7 rings short. I have to go back to Walmart tomorrow and buy another length of ring tape. Drat! After that I have to sew the goofy rings on and then get myself a long 1"x2" board and screw eyes. Then I can start stringing cord.

Did I mention it's been 10 years since I've made these and forgot all the details that go into them? If not, let me say it again: a lot of details go into making these.

But I think it will be worth it when I get it done.

IMG_2013.JPG

13 thoughts on “Challenge of the Day

1. Jawan says:

Well, I commend you on knowing how to make them, period. I have a brand new sewing machine still sealed in the box. I have no idea where to start with it but I have great dreams of what I’d like to do with it!

2. Becky says:

YOU are something else. A hero of sorts.
    I am assuming you picked up the girls from softball even though you didn’t list it 🙂

You know, I had a Rowenta iron once upon a time. It was horrid. Must have just been mine because I know they are supposed to be a great iron. I went to buy a new one but before I did checked Consumer Reports. They said this Sunbeam was the top rated iron in their tests – they rated it above the Rowenta even. And it was much cheaper.
    That was easily 6 years ago. It’s still going strong for me and no complaints. 🙂

4. Aubrey says:

I LOVE that fabric. I wonder what it would look like in my living room. I’ve been living here for almost two years and still no curtains in the living room. Sigh.

5. gretchen from lifenut says:

I get so dazzled by fabric and sewing projects, it’s ridiculous. I can’t sew and can finally admit I don’t want to learn because if I did my machine wouldn’t be languishing in the basement.
    It’s like a zealous vegetarian getting drooly over a slab of tender pink prime rib.
    I hope you take a photo when the new drapes are up.

6. Anna says:

Yay! Got to catch up (somewhat) on your blog tonight. 4/20 brought tears to my eyes- maybe I’m just tired…but, wow, what a sweet woman!I love your curtains! and your cute invitation for Craig’s graduation party…do you have a good recipe for sangria?

7. Laura says:

I love the window with no covering! I think it’s not fair for one person to have so much craftiness…. but then what is fair?
    Hey, Megan… would you ask your peeps to pray for us in Mexico? We are safe and all, but not knowing how to help folks have hope and faith in this time… we are so not worried, but lots of people are scared silly about this swine flu thing. THANKS! lo

That is an amazing link. Thanks for sending that my way.
    Also, I like the window plain too, except for at night when the entire city can peer in here with no trouble whatsoever. It’s time to get that closed up.
    I’ll try to link something up to you soon, Laura.
    M