It is the day that never ends…

Craig had his remaining kidney stone blasted today. It ended up being a much bigger deal than either of us were thinking it would be. Oh, and by the way, he’s pretty hilarious when he comes out of anesthesia, in case anyone wanted to know. And in a moment of rare foresight, I cancelled our Wednesday night City Group last night, thinking that today might end up being one of those goofy days that just will. not. end. And here we are, 9:33pm, still doing school and no bedtime in site for anyone save two tiny boys and one drugged man.

  • 1am – Awakened by 4yo who is crying because his feet are cold. Get up, put socks on him, tuck him back in bed, go back to bed.
  • 1:15am – Reawakened by same 4yo who is crying again because his feet are STILL cold. Get up, put another pair of socks on him, put a sweatshirt on him too, tuck him back in bed, go back to bed.
  • 5:00am – Reawakened by same 4yo who is now crying because he wet his pants. Get up, change him, thank the Lord sincerely he didn’t also wet the bed, tuck him back in bed, go back to bed.
  • 6:45am – Wake officially to the sound of two little boys jumping on the bed and singing Feliz Navidad at the top of their lungs. Go in, find out 3yo actually has wet the bed, but on purpose. Change him, strip the bed.
  • 8:30am – Load up the whole Hee Haw Gang and drive Craig and Chloe to the hospital to drop him off for his kidney stone blasting, then run some errands while everyone else in the van, watching Cars 2, comes along for the ride.
  • 10am – Drop Katie and Millie off at their new art class (same location, different day), go home and entertain/break up fights between two boys for an hour before reloading and heading back to art class to…
  • 11:30am – Pick Katie and Millie up from art class, head home, quick lunch and…
  • 12:00pm – Head back to the hospital to pick up Craig and Chloe. End up being there about an hour while he continues to regain consciousness.
  • 1:00pm – Head back home, drop everyone off.
  • 1:30pm – Dash to Walgreens to drop off Craig’s prescriptions.
  • 1:45pm – Dash back home, load up the boys and Chloe and take them to a doctor appointment (kids entering into emergency foster care are supposed to be seen by a doctor within 3 days of placement – we did the best we could at the 5 day mark here…)
  • 2:00pm – Weather the goofiest doctor’s visit ever (great doctor, no complaints – goofy boys). Plan to pick up Craig’s prescriptions on the way home, but remember I forgot to snag his ID and his ID is necessary to pick up the meds I’m about to pick up, so drop off Chloe and boys, snag the ID, go back to Walgreens, get the meds, then home again.
  • 3:30pm – Back home, boys are BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS CRAZY. Ground outside is too wet, so the parks are out as is our backyard. Think that taking them to McDonalds Play Place might be a good Plan B.
  • 3:45pm – Realize you aren’t the only caregiver of crazy child(ren) who had that idea. Regret said decision, but stay anyway and spring for hot fudge Sundaes.
  • 4:30pm – Leave for home to pick up Maddie for guitar.
  • 4:45pm – Leave home with Maddie and R3, deciding to divide and conquer this time and see how they do flying solo without their partners in crime.
  • 5:00pm – Drop Maddie off, take R3 to Walmart. R3 does not want to be at Walmart, but he doesn’t throw a fit. He’s happy I buy the oranges and Curious George coloring book he requested. Turns out that dividing and conquering isn’t such a bad idea after all.
  • 6:00pm – Pick Maddie back up.
  • 6:10pm – Home again. Discover the scent of the amazing brisket I’ve been slow cooking all day has actually made Craig vomit, so he’s not going to particularly enjoy it tonight and none of the kids really appreciate it either. Boomer and Peaches, on the other hand…
  • 7:30pm – At. Joking. Last. BATH TIME for the boys. Books. Bed.
  • 8:00pm – Boys in bed. Time to see who still needs help with school.

And here I am at 9:30pm – Just finished up the last of school with Katie and trying to steer Katie and Millie towards bed. Maddie and Chloe are still plugging away…I hope. Not sure any quiet alone time is on the docket for me today and that’s just the way some days go. At this rate, I’m just hoping to be able to collapse by 11:00pm. Wish me luck.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s